Sainz to remain at Toro Rosso in 2017

Speedcafe.com

Thursday 30th June, 2016 - 9:13am

Share:

Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz will remain at Toro Rosso for next season after earning a contract extension at the sister Red Bull outfit.

The Spaniard has impressed this season scoring points in five of the eight races, which has led to Red Bull taking up an option on his contract.

Sainz’s new deal will see him embark on a third season with the squad having joined the Italian team in 2015.

“We took up his option earlier this week, so he is committed to Red Bull for an extra 12 months,” said Red Bull boss Christian Horner.

“As with all the drivers they are contracted to Red Bull Racing, and then we have the ability to place them where we want.

“Of course, he is currently at Toro Rosso which is where he will be next year.

“We had until the end of the year to take up the option, and we chose to do it early to put his mind at rest.”

Horner says it is unlikely that Sainz will have a new team-mate next season, with Daniil Kvyat expected to stay following his demotion from Red Bull in May.

“I’d be surprised (if Sainz did have a new team-mate),” added Horner.

“Dany (Kvyat) is continuing his development, you can see he is finding his feet now, and there is not an obvious candidate knocking on the door at the moment that would warrant that seat.”

Red Bull drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen are contracted to the Milton Keynes outift until the end of 2018 at least.