Triple Eight blocks Webb, HRT enduro deal

  • Tuesday 11th February, 2014 6:30pm
  • Author: Stefan Bartholomaeus ©
Jonathon Webb

Jonathon Webb

Warren Luff is expected to replace Jonathon Webb in the Holden Racing Team’s endurance line-up after the Tekno Autosports owner’s deal to join the factory outfit was blocked.

Webb had signed on to drive for the Holden Racing Team at the Sandown, Bathurst and Gold Coast events in a deal that was to be confirmed alongside the reveal of the factory squad’s new livery at Bathurst on Wednesday morning.

Speedcafe.com understands, however, that the plan was quashed late last week by Triple Eight, which supplies chassis and technical support to Tekno.

The move is the latest in the fierce rivalry between Triple Eight and the HRT which saw the latter team poach the Roland Dane-owned squad’s team principal Adrian Burgess last year.

Burgess had worked with Webb at Dick Johnson Racing in 2010 and is believed to have pushed for the one-time race winner’s signing.

Dane offered a firm no comment when contacted by Speedcafe.com today (Tuesday), while Webb and Burgess were unable to be contacted.

Former Triple Eight co-driver Luff was scheduled to line-up alongside Nick Percat in Walkinshaw’s endurance line-up but is now set to be elevated to Tander’s entry.

Factory Corvette Racing star Oliver Gavin is meanwhile thought to be in the frame to drive alongside Percat.

The 41-year-old Briton was in talks to join the team’s Enduro Cup squad last year, but his lack of Bathurst experience proved a key sticking point.

Gavin subsequently had his first taste of Mount Panorama at last weekend’s Bathurst 12 Hour, where he told Speedcafe.com that he was still keen on and endurance berth.

“Without any experience at Bathurst it’d be a long shot for them to take me for the enduros,” he said

“I came here to get some experience and we will see how it goes from there.

“If there is an opportunity there I’d like to get the chance. We will see what happens in the future.”

Walkinshaw Racing is also yet to confirm a co-driver for its Tim Slade-driven Supercheap Auto entry.

Tony D’Alberto is expected to fill that seat unless ongoing discussions with Tekno about running a second full-time car can be locked away before the Clipsal 500.

Get your daily racing fix delivered to your inbox!

Try our daily email, The best way to get your news first, fast and free!

By submitting above you agree to the Speedcafe.com Privacy Policy

Contact Us | Advertise with Speedcafe | Privacy | All material copyright © 2014 - Speedcafe.com | Web Design by 7thVision