DJR confirms Scott Pye for 2014
Just hours after officially locking in a second Racing Entitlements Contract, Dick Johnson has revealed that Scott Pye will replace Chaz Mostert as his team’s lead driver next season.
Johnson has told The Daily Telegraph that he has recruited Pye, who currently drives for Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport, while also re-signing current major backer Wilson Security.
Both deals are for the next two seasons.
Pye has endured a difficult rookie year with the struggling LDM outfit, but remains highly rated following his success in open-wheel racing and strong form in the 2012 Dunlop Series.
Pye’s long-term management agreement with Triple Eight owner Roland Dane will continue under the DJR deal.
“Scotty will be our No.1 if you like and we will be able to announce another driver soon,” Johnson told the newspaper.
“We have a second license now and that is the way it needs to be.
“You need to have a two car deal in this sport to be any chance and we have that now.”
Pye added via Twitter that the move to DJR is “an unbelievable opportunity”.
Brad Jones Racing’s David Wall is thought likely to complete DJR’s new line-up.
The move would ensure a consolidation of Wilson Security’s V8 Supercars sponsorships, which also currently includes Wall’s Holden.
DJR formally announced earlier on Wednesday afternoon that its long-time investor Steve Brabeck has purchased Paul Morris’ REC, which had been placed at Tekno Autosports for the last two seasons.
Mostert’s impending exit from DJR was confirmed in October, when Will Davison’s decision to leave Ford Performance Racing for Erebus Motorsport created a place for the youngster in the factory squad.