Lorenzo to attempt surprise Laguna comeback

Speedcafe.com

Thursday 18th July, 2013 - 10:17am

Share:

Jorge Lorenzo

Jorge Lorenzo

Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo has sent a shock through MotoGP by announcing that he is contemplating a comeback at Laguna Seca this weekend.

Lorenzo will travel to the northern Californian circuit for the ninth round of the MotoGP Championship with his Yamaha team.

This is an about-face on earlier plans which ruled Lorenzo out of making a comeback from shoulder injury until the Indianapolis round in mid August.

Lorenzo had damaged his shoulder for a second successive week at the Sachensring last week, forcing him to undergo surgery on the same collarbone he broke initially at Assen almost two weeks ago.

“Finally we have decided to go to Laguna Seca,” Lorenzo said.

“Following the final medical check and after speaking with Doctor Rodriguez, we are going to try.”

Lorenzo will test his fitness in open free practice at the fast and undulating Laguna Seca track.

The rethink on making a comeback much earlier than planned came after Lorenzo admitted to ‘feeling much better’ in the last few days.

Although Lorenzo admits that he will not take any unnecessary risks as he attempts the surprise comeback.

“At the beginning I seriously thought that it might have been convenient to take the necessary time to recover and be back at Indy, but over the last two days I have felt much better so now I want to be there, although I will try to not take too many risks,” Lorenzo said.

“I want to be there also for the fans, for the championship but especially for my team that is waiting for me.”

Lorenzo won at Laguna Seca in 2010, the same year he won the first of two world championships.

 

Comments are closed.